School of Information Systems & Technology
|  Research Interests
|  Return to List
Subhankar Dhar is a Professor in the School of Information Systems & Technology at San Jose State University. He is also an affiliate faculty member of the Silicon Valley Center for Entrepreneurship. Dr. Dhar's research interests are in the areas of Big Data Analytics, large scale computer networks, Mobile Computing, wireless ad hoc and sensor networks and Smart Cities. Dr. Dhar worked on a broad range of problems in Big Data, ad hoc and sensor networks, distributed algorithms and routing for large scale wireless networks as well as mobile computing, with contributions to both graph-theoretic and statistical techniques. His work has emphasized the modeling of the underlying problem structure, combining all relevant sources of information, and designing algorithms especially tuned to large scale ad hoc and sensor networks.
Prof. Dhar has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas. He received his Ph.D. degree from the University of South Florida, Tampa, and has been affiliated with San Jose State since 2001. He teaches a variety of courses including computer networks, distributed systems and web-based computing. His publications have appeared in reputed international journals and gave presentations to various international conferences. He serves as a member of the editorial board of International Journal of Business Data Communications and Networking. He is a reviewer of papers for various international journals, conferences and scholarly publications. He also served as a member of the organizing committee of various international conferences like International Conference on Broadband Networks (BroadNets) and International Workshop on Distributed Computing (IWDC). In addition, Dr. Dhar has several years of industrial experience in software development, consulting for Fortune 500 and high-tech industries including product planning, design, and information systems management.
1) Big Data Analytics
2) Mobile Computing
3) Wireless Networks
4) Smart City
Solutions Developer, SAP Labs, Palo Alto, CA, 1999-2001
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
1) Subhankar Dhar & Nabanita Das (Eds.) Large Scale Complex Network Analysis: LSCNA 2015, Workshop Proceedings, Academic Publishers, 2015.
2) S. Mazumder and S. Dhar, Hadoop as Big Data Operating System - The Emerging Approach for Managing Challenges of Enterprise Big Data Platform, Proceedings of IEEE Big Data Service, San Francisco, 2015
3) S. Dhar and S. Mazumder, Challenges and Best Practices for Enterprise Adoption of Big Data Technologies, Journal of Information Technology Management, Vol. 25, No. 4, December 2014
4) S. Dhar and S. Mazumder, Challenges and Best Practices for Enterprise Adoption of Big Data Technologies, IEEE International Technology Management Conference (ITMC), Chicago, 2014
5) S. Dhar, From Outsourcing To Cloud Computing: Evolution of IT Services, Management Research Review, Vol. 35, Issue 8, 2012.
6) S. Dhar, Challenges and Future Research Directions of Cloud Computing, Proceedings of Forty-First Annual Meeting of Western Decision Sciences Instituteâ€™s (WDSI), Big Island, Hawaii, April, 2012
7) S. Dhar, The Economics and Best Practices of Cloud Computing, Proceedings of Int'l Conference of the Decision Science Institute of Indian Subcontinent, Chennai, January 2012.
8) M. Q. Rieck and S. Dhar, A New Pruning Method for Efficient Broadcasting in Ad hoc Networks, International Journal on Mobile Network Design and Innovation, Vol. 3, No. 4, 2011.
9) S. Dhar and U. Varshney, Challenges and Business Models for Mobile Location-based Services and Advertising, Communications of the ACM, May 2011, Vol. 54, No. 5, pages 121 - 129.
10) S. Dhar, From Outsourcing To Cloud Computing: Evolution of IT Services, IEEE Int'l Technology Management Conference, San Jose, June 2011
11) S. Dhar, Emerging Business Models for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks and Location-based Services, Annual Meeting of the Northeast Decision Sciences Institute, Montreal, April 2011
12) M. Moh, R. Kukanur, X. Lin and S. Dhar, Energy-efficient Self-organizing Routing for Wireless Mobile Networks, Recent Advances in Broadband Integrated Network Operations and Services Management, IGI global, 2011 (Book Chapter)
13) M. Q. Rieck and S. Dhar, Efficient Multi-hop Broadcasting in Wireless Networks using k-Shortest Path Pruning, Proceedings of the International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN), Kolkata, January 2010, Springer.
14) M. Moh, R. Kukanur, X. Lin and S. Dhar, Energy-efficient Self-organizing Routing for Wireless Mobile Networks, International Journal of Business Data Communications and Networking, Vol. 5, Issue 4, 2009, Pages 52-69.
15) M. Q. Rieck and S. Dhar, Constructing Special k-Dominating Sets using Variations on the Greedy Algorithm, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2009, Pages 64-76
16) S. Dhar, Emerging Business Models for Mobile Location-based Services, 2nd International Conference on Decision Sciences in Global Enterprise Management (ISDSI), Mumbai, January 2009.