|  Research Interests
|  Return to List
Simon Shim is a professor at Computer Engineering Department at San Jose State University. He
is in the editorial board of IEEE Computer ( w ww .c omput e r .o r g /computer ) and the area editor of
Internet and Web Technologies at Computer. He worked as a Director at SAP Labs, Palo Alto,
CA, USA where he worked on the in-memory database, called Hana. He was a guest editor for
the special issue on high speed security (2004), CAP (2012), and the next generation memory
(2013) for IEEE Computer. He has published more than 50 papers in journals and conferences
and 1 patent. He has co-authored one published technical book. He received PhD in computer
science and engineering from University of Minnesota.
His current research areas include internet computing, database management, machine learning,
and information retrieval. He has organized and served as a workshop chair of data engineering,
column at IEEE Computer for 5 years.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
1. V. Pendyala, S. Shim, C. Bussler: The Web that dissipates beyond the World, IEEE
Computer 48(5) To appear in May 2015
G. Atwood, S. Chae, S. Shim: Next-Generation Memory. IEEE Computer 46(8): 21-22
S. Shim: The CAP Theorem's Growing Impact. IEEE Computer 45(2): 21-22 (2012)
V. Pendyala, S. Shim: The Web as the Ubiquitous Computer. I EE E Com puter 42 ( : 90-
J. Shim, S. Shim: Ontology-based e-Catalog in e-commerce: ECRA Vol. 5, No. 1.
Special Section. Ele c tron ic Com mer c e R e se a rc h a nd Applica ti ons 5 ( : 1 (2006)
S. Shim, G. Bhalla, V. Pendyala, "Federated Identity Management," IEEE Computer,
J. Chung, K. Lin, S. Shim, "Beyond Electronic Commerce," IEEE Computer, 92-93, May
P. Jungck, S. Shim: Issues in High-Speed Internet Security. I EEE C omput e r 37 ( : 36-42,
S. Shim, L. Gong, A. Rubin, L. Gwennap, "Guest Editor's Introduction: Securing the
High-Speed Internet," IEEE Computer: pp. 33-35, June 2004.
10. H. Yunos, J. Gao, S. Shim, "Wireless Advertising", IEEE Computer, 30-37, May 2003
11. S. Shim, V. Pendyala, M. Sundaram, and J. Gao, "Business to Business Electronic
Commerce Frameworks", I EE E Com puter 33 ( : 40-47, October 2000.
12. S. Shim, Y. Lee, "Interactive TV: VOD Meets the Internet," I EEE C ompu ter 35 ( :
108-109, July 2002.
13. G. Shih and S. Shim, "A Service Management Framework for M-Commerce
Applications," ACM/BALZER Journal on Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET)
Special Issue on Mobile Commerce Vol. 7 No. 3, June 2002, pp. 199-212
14. S. Shim, T. Chang, D. Du, J. Hsieh, Y. Wang, "Performance of a Scalable Multimedia
Server with Shared-Storage Clusters," International Journal of Multimedia Tools and
Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Vol 18 (1): 31-54, September 2002
15. D. Du, T. Chang, J. Hsieh, S. Shim, and Y. Wang, "Emerging Serial Interfaces", Special
Issue on Digital Libraries for International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications,
Kluwer Academic Publishers, Volume 10, Issue 2/3, April 2000, pp. 179-203.
16. J. Liu, D. Du, S. Shim, J. Hsieh, and M. Lin, "Design and Evaluation of A Generic
Software Architecture for On-Demand Servers", IEEE Transaction on Knowledge and
Data Engineering, Vol 11, No. 3, May/June 1999, pp.406-424
17. S. Shim, J. Subramani, Y. Lee, "A SMIL Based Graphical Interface for Interactive TV,"
SPIE Electronic Imaging, January 20-24, 2003, pp. 257-266.
18. S. Shim, Z. Zeng, J. Gao: Automatic Generation and Integration of RosettaNet Based On
Generic Templates and Components. Fourth International Workshop on Advanced Issues
of E-Commerce and Web-Based Information Systems 2002: 33-40
19. M. Sundaram and S. Shim, "Infrastructure for B2B Exchanges with RosettaNet", Third
International Workshop on Advanced Issues of E-Commerce and Web-Based Information
Systems, June 2001, pp. 110 - 119.
20. K. Inampudi and S. Shim, "Design and Implementation of Shared File System on NT
Clusters over SAN". Proceedings of Fibre Channel Technology Conference, San Jose,
October 11-14, 2000